The Mayors for Economic Growth initiative supports cities in Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Moldova and Ukraine to facilitate growth and job creation by improving the local business environment, stimulating entrepreneurship and attracting investment for sustainable economic development.
The initiative aims to:
- Encourage and support local authorities to design and implement local economic development plans (LEDPs);
- Strengthen the capacity of local authorities to implement LEDPs in line with the principle of good governance and sound financial management;
- Encourage the creation of local partnerships and networks based on public-private dialogue in order to implement actions to promote growth, development and jobs;
- Share know-how and best practices to motivate local stakeholders, demonstrate new approaches at work, and sustain local pro-development policies and actions.
Actions in brief
Within a year from joining the initiative, signatories of Mayors for Economic Growth (M4EG) are asked to submit a Local Economic Development Plan, in which they outline concrete measures to reach their objectives.
The technical assistance team then supports signatories with:
- Information, capacity building and awareness raising, including methodologies and guidelines for baseline inventories and Development Plans, training materials and workshops;
- Assistance to the implementation of local economic development policies, including:
- Direct expert assistance
- Train the trainers
- Exchange of best practice
- Support to investment projects
- Fostering cross-country partnerships
The M4EG initiative also has a grant component funding “pioneer projects”. The Call for Proposals targets cities that already have a Local Economic Development Plan, consistent with the M4EG Concept. Cities selected will become the "Pioneers" of Mayors for Economic Growth by implementing pilot projects capable of showing how concrete actions included in the Plans can be realised on the ground.Print pdf